Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies - Arts and Letters Track (Non-credential)
Requirements (77 units)
Total units required for graduation: 180
Requirements for the B.A. in Liberal Studies - Arts and Letters Track (Program Code: LBAL)
Arts and Letters Interdisciplinary Concentration Requirements (36 units)
Thirty-six units required to be selected from one of the following five groupings of courses offered by the departments and disciplines listed. Within the selected grouping, no more than 20 units may be taken in any one discipline and a minimum of 18 units must be at the 300-level or above. Courses must be selected and approved with the assistance of an advisor. A list of recommended courses approved for use in each category and department can be obtained from the Liberal Studies program office.
- Fine Arts: Art, Dance, Music, Theatre
- Literature: English, World Languages and Literatures
- Languages and Linguistics: English and Foreign Languages
- Media Arts: Communications Media, Graphic Design, Music Technology, Photography
- Humanities: Must include courses from a minimum of three of the following areas: Communication Studies, English, Humanities, Philosophy, World Languages and Literatures, or any of the areas in Fine Arts (art, dance, music, theatre)
Skills Requirements (12 units)
A minimum of four units from each of the following three categories:
1. Communication Skills (4) Four units chosen from: 4 Small Group Communication Fundamentals of Interpersonal Communication Writing for Media Argumentation Business and Professional Communication Persuasion Public Relations Communication Writing in the Public Sphere Introduction to Creative Writing: Specialized Genres Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction Intermediate Creative Writing: Poetry Intermediate Creative Writing: Fiction Advanced Creative Writing: Poetry Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction Advanced Creative Writing in Specialized GenresENG 543A-CLiterary Publication Administrative Communications 2. Computer Skills (4) A minimum of four units chosen from: 4 Introduction to Art and Technology Introduction to Composition and UI/UX Design Intro to 2D Digital Image Creation Digital Image Editing Web Design Interactive Multimedia Design Computer Science I Computer Applications for Career and Technical Educators Introduction to Geographic Information Systems and Cartography Software Applications in the Health Sciences Introduction to Information Technology 3. Research Techniques Skills: (4) A minimum of four units chosen from: 4 Communication Research Methodology Research Methods in Criminal Justice Statistics in Criminal Justice Statistics for Economists Geographic Statistics and Research Methods Research Methodology in Health Science Applied Statistics Introductory Statistics and Hypothesis Testing Marketing Research Inductive Logic Introduction to Political Science Research Psychological Statistics Applied Business Statistics Social Research I Feminist Research Methods Total Units 12
Minor Field (Minimum of 24 units)
The Minor must include a minimum of 16 units at the 300-level or above. Minors vary in size and range from 24-42 units.
Culminating Experience (5 units)
HUM 497 to be taken during last quarter before graduation.
A four-unit Independent Study Project to be completed in one of the disciplines used for the Concentration (#1) or Minor (#3) areas. This project should result in a significant written paper reporting on the research project carried out and should include a concluding essay relating the research topic to other courses and subjects in the area of Concentration or Minor and summarizing the student’s accomplishments in the Liberal Studies major. Students will enroll in the appropriate independent study course offered by the department of the faculty member who has agreed to supervise this project
- Free Electives
To be used if needed to reach minimum of 180 total units for the BA degree.