Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
The Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MSEI) program offers students with business, technical, or other non-business degrees a comprehensive graduate education that prepares them to launch entrepreneurial ventures or new business ventures in large organizations. The 30-unit program will provide coursework and experiential learning activities and expose students to the key concepts of entrepreneurship and innovation including creativity, and ideation, evaluation and screening of business concepts, commercialization and technology transfer processes, business model formulation, startup models and the entrepreneurial process, team formation, intellectual property, marshaling resources, planning techniques and launch strategies.
Admission to the Program
Suitability for admission to the program will be based on an examination of the entire application package. In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- Bachelor's Degree: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with required minimum GPA of 2.75 calculated using the entire degree or the last 90 quarter (60 semester) units, which may include post baccalaureate work. Applicants in the process of finishing an undergraduate degree may apply, with acceptance contingent on successful completion of the undergraduate degree.
- Personal Statement: A statement that provides insight on the student's motivation to join the program, how the student plans on using the degree to further his/her professional goals, and the personal qualifications that will contribute to successful completion of the program. This can be submitted in one of two possible formats: (a) a written statement of no more than 500 words; or (b) a short video, not more than 2 minutes in length.
- English Proficiency for International Students: All international applicants who have not completed three years of full-time study at the secondary or post-secondary level where English was the language of instruction must also achieve an acceptable score, as determined by the MSEI committee, ratified by the College Curriculum Committee, and in alignment with the Office of Graduate Studies requirements on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the IELTS exam or complete CSUSB's ESL program. The current minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 550/PBT, 213/CBT, 79-80/IBT taken within the past two years; IELTS score of 6.5 taken within the past two years; or complete level 6 of CSUSB's Intensive English Program;
- Resume: Submission of a current resume;
- Letters of Recommendation: One (1) letter of recommendation is required that attests to the applicant's intellectual and professional aptitude;
- Interview: Each applicant will be required to participate in a brief interview with the MSEI program director and/or faculty.
Advancement to Candidacy
To be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified standing.
- Successfully completed the MSEI Boot Camps.
- Successfully completed 12 units with a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average in the program;
- Completed an approved MSEI program plan in consultation with the designated faculty advisor of the MSEI program;
- Secured approval of the Graduate director in charge of the MSEI program.
Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 30 semester units of acceptable graduate-level work, consistent with the MSEI program plan (with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0);
- Successful completion of the required and elective courses as shown in the "Degree Requirements";
- At least 70% of the units for the degree completed at California State University at San Bernardino;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B") in all course work taken after admission to conditionally classified or classified status, and grades of "C" (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
- Successful completion of ENTR 6961 and ENTR 6962 meets the culminating experience requirement and successful completion (a grade of "B", 3.0, or better) of ADMN 6020 meets the graduate writing requirement;
- Students are expected to complete online MSEI Boot Camp before the start of their first semester, unless later completion is approved by the MSEI program;
- Successful completion of ENTR 6980 . The course includes a reflective essay that provides an overview of the student’s experience, key learning takeaways and how the new knowledge will be used professionally. In addition, students will provide feedback on the overall program experience through a series of short answer questions, of which the data will be aggregated with other student responses to provide feedback for program and curriculum development. Students register for this 0-unit course in their final semester of enrollment in the MSEI program;
- Any additional general requirements not cited above and listed in MSEI Graduate Degree Program Requirements.
A "no credit" (NC) designation will be entered on the student's transcript if he/she fails the MSEI Culminating Experience courses. Students who do not receive a passing grade on the first attempt must petition the college's director of graduate studies for permission to retake the culminating experience.
Degree Requirements (30 units)
(Program Code: ENIN)
|Required Courses (21)|
|ADMN 6020||Advanced Managerial Communications||3|
|ENTR 5410||Commercializing Entrepreneurial Innovation||3|
|ENTR 5450||Resources for the Entrepreneur||3|
|ENTR 6210||Entrepreneurship and New Ventures||3|
|ENTR 6230||Exploring Entrepreneurial Opportunities||3|
|MGMT 6850||Strategic Management||3|
|TA 5141||Entrepreneurial Improvisation and Creativity||3|
|ENTR 6980||Reflective Essay||0|
|Entrepreneurship Elective (3)|
|Chose one (1) from the following:||3|
|Managing a Growing Business|
|Launching the Entrepreneurial Venture|
|Entrepreneurship in Action: Corporate, Social and Family Business Approaches|
|Custom Elective (3)|
|Chose one (1) from the following or any 6000-level course chosen from the graduate business core in consultation with the MSEI faculty advisor||3|
|Leadership as Art and Science|
|Advanced Marketing Research|
|Culminating Experience (3)||3|
Culminating Experience (3 units)
|ENTR 6961||Entrepreneurial Immersion 1||2|
|ENTR 6962||Entrepreneurial Immersion 2||1|